Thursday, July 18, 2013

What Have I Learned?

To be honest I had never heard the term action research until this class.  So, I guess you can say I have learned a lot!   Action research “focuses on the concerns of practitioners (not outside researchers) and engages practitioners in the design, data collection, and interpretation of data around their question” (Dana, 2009, p.5).  Action research allows people directly involved with a problem to be the ones that are a part of forming a solution.  The reflective part of action research allows for restructuring of the solution based on continual observation.  The educational research that I was familiar with was process-product or qualitative research.  These types of research do not include input from those directly involved with the day-to-day business of education (Dana, 2009, p. 5).  Many times a teacher will be told to change the curriculum or discipline plan based on studies and data that were not from their school or district.  As a teacher, I would sometimes question the changes being made.  Something that is good for one campus in our district might not be the best fit for the other sixteen.  If action research was put into place and changes were being made based off of the findings and concerns of teachers and administrators, I believe those changes would be met with less hesitation. 
I plan to use it in my own classroom to help with parent communication.  I am going to be a digital classroom and am interested to see if there are any changes in parent perception about communication.  I have always used a communication folder, phone calls, AlertNow, a calendar and written notes to help communicate.  However, each year there are parents that feel like I don’t communicate well based off of the end of the year survey.  Not many feel this way, but enough that it bothers me.  This will not be my big action research project. I simply want to use the cyclical method of action research to try and meet the communication needs of all my parents. 


Dana, N. F. (2009). Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action researcher.  Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

1 comment:

  1. My goal this year is to go digital in my classroom. I want to be 95% digital by the end of this year. I've got my site up and running and I'm adding to it daily. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete