Sunday, September 29, 2013

EDLD 5364 Course Embedded Reflection

This course, Teaching With Technology, has taught me about several new areas of technology that I can incorporate into my classroom curriculum.  I have the privilege of being selected to be a digital classroom for my district this year.  Therefore it has become mandatory for me to incorporate technology into every aspect of my classroom.  Throughout this course I have learned about several new areas of technology that will help with this goal.  Previously I used technology as a source for enrichment of the curriculum.  However, The CAST website states, “Learners differ in the ways that they perceive and comprehend information that is presented to them” (“The three principles of UDL”, 2013).  After learning about UDL lessons and becoming more of a facilitator rather than a lecturer, I can now see me allowing the students to choose from a variety of sources to reach an understanding of the subject that is being taught. 

I found the constructivist theory to be the learning theory that I could immediately apply to my classroom.  Constructivism is when students come with a set of knowledge that will impact what and how they learn new information presented to them (Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, 1999).   This theory has transformed my teaching style and allowed to students to have a bigger say in their assignments.

The primary focus of this class was to collaboratively create a UDL lesson with a group of people from this class.  We had to learn how to collaborate using many of the same Web 2.0 skills that were being introduced to us in the readings.  We used many of the tools that are discussed such as a Google site, Google docs, eBooks, Classroom Performance System, Kidspiration, and an interactive whiteboard activity to help create this lesson.  Our group was very patient with each other and now feels confident enough in our skills to apply this knowledge to our classroom.  This course has given me many ways to incorporate technology into all aspects of teaching.  I will no longer limit it to enrichment, but will also include it into my anticipatory set, guided practice, and assessment activities.

Cast.org (2009). Model UDL lessons. Center for Applied Special Technology. Retrieved from http://udlselfcheck.cast.org/

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., & Kuhn, M. (2012). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.

Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, (1999). Learning as a personal event: A brief introduction to constructivism.  Retrieved on October 4, 2009 from http://www.sedl.org/pubs/tec26/intro2c.html


Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2007). Web 2.0: New tools, new schools. Eugene, OR: International Society for Technology in Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment